PUNJABI DAL MAKHANI RECIPE
HOW TO MAKE DAL MAKHNI
- Rinse the whole black gram 2 to 3 times thoroughly. Drain.
- Add black gram, red kidney beans, 3 1/2 cups of water, turmeric powder & salt into the Pressure Cooker. Pressure cook till the black gram & kidney beans are soft. Once the steam/pressure has subsided completely, remove the lid. Cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes on low heat while stirring at intervals. If the mixture becomes too thick add water accordingly to prevent the contents from sticking to the cooker's bottom. Mash the contents well with a masher. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, mix cream & the smoothened curd thoroughly. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick deep pan on medium heat. Add cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds begin to change color, add asafoetida. Mix.
- Add chopped onion & sauté till it turns golden brown in color.
- Add ginger & garlic. Sauté for half a minute.
- Add the tomato puree & sauté till the oil starts to separate from the mixture.
- Add green chillies, cayenne pepper, cream-curd mixture. Mix well & cook for 2 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Add the cooked grams. Mix well.
- Add garam masala powder & cook on low heat for 15 minutes or till the mixture is of a thick consistency. Keep stirring at regular intervals.
- Adjust seasonings to your taste.
- Transfer it to a bowl. Garnish with ginger strips, chopped cilantro leaves and cream. Serve hot with naan, paratha or rice.