BAKED SAMOSA RECIPE
26 Wonton Wrappers (about 4" squares)
1 tbsp Olive Oil for brushing
For the Filling:
3 large-size potatoes; peeled & boiled
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
2 tsp minced fresh Ginger
1/4 cup Green Peas (fresh or frozen); blanched
3-4 Serrano Green Chillies or to taste; destemmed & finely chopped
1 tsp Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) or 1 1/2 tsp fresh Lemon Juice; see tips
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (Red Chilli Powder) or to taste
1 tsp Coriander Powder; see tips
1/4 tsp Garam Masala; see tips
Salt to taste
2 tbsp fresh chopped Cilantro (Coriander) leaves
1 tbsp Oil
How to make Baked Samosa
- Once the boiled potatoes have cooled down, mash the potatoes coarsely using your hands. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Add cumin seeds & saute till the cumin seeds begin to change color. Add ginger & green chillies. Saute for a minute.
- Add green peas & saute for a minute.
- Add potatoes, dry mango powder/lemon juice, cayenne pepper, coriander powder, garam masala & salt. Toss well such that the potatoes get coated with the spices thoroughly. Saute for a minute. Add chopped cilantro, toss again. Remove from heat & allow it to cool.
Assembling the Samosa:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Keep aside.
- In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup of water. Keep aside.
- Take a wonton wrapper (keep the remaining wrappers covered with a damp cloth else they will become dry & brittle). Dip your finger tip in the bowl of water & moisten all the edges of the wonton wrapper. Place about 1 1/2 tbsp of potato filling in the center of the wrapper.
- Follow either of the below 2 methods to fold a samosa -
a) To follow Simple method (Chart I) - Fold the wrapper in half to form a triangle & press the edges together to seal (see step c in Chart I).
b) To get a shape as shown in my above picture - Follow steps c-g in Chart II.
- Brush the entire filled wrapper lightly with olive oil. Arrange on baking sheet. Repeat the process with remaining wrappers. Bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning the filled wrappers halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven & transfer to a serving platter. Serve hot with Cilantro-Mint Chutney, Tamarind Chutney or tomato ketchup.
|Simple Method - CHART I|