BLACK PEPPER FRIED RICE RECIPE
How to make Fried Rice
- Remove the rice from refrigerator 15 - 20 minutes before use. Separate the grains gently with your hands. Keep aside.
- Heat 1/4 tsp of oil on medium heat in a non-stick pan. Add beaten eggs, swirl the egg quickly to make a pancake. Cook for about 30 seconds to a minute until its just set. Flip the egg & cook the other side for 10 seconds or until set. Remove & cut into small strips. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok on medium - high heat, swirl to coat the wok. Add garlic & saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped white onion, white parts of the green onion & carrot. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add bell pepper & saute for a minute.
- Add cabbage & saute for another minute.
- Add cooked rice & stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar & black pepper. Stir-fry until the rice is fully coated. Add chopped eggs, green part of the green onions & mix.
- Taste & add salt (soy sauce already has salt in it). Adjust seasoning as per your taste. Stir-fry until the rice is heated through. Serve hot.
- This recipe works best with day-old cold rice.
- Chop your veggies in a uniform shape & size to ensure even cooking.
- This recipe is pretty versatile. You can use veggies of your choice, however always remember the hardest-to-cook veggie goes in first while stir-frying.
- You can also add cooked meats of your choice. Add the meat at the same as adding the sauces in step 8.
- I have followed the restaurant-style preparation, wherein the egg is prepared separately & added to the fried rice at the end. The easier alternative of cooking the egg in the wok along with veggies & rice will cover the veggies & rice with egg gunk - an unappetizing prospect & hence not recommended.