It is so hard to focus on the laptop screen when your eyes turn dreamy. This is happening right now as I sit down to write down about Papdi Chaat. Yummm! These two magic words make me turn my eyes to heaven (maybe the gods will send down a plateful) and my tongue tingle with the lip-smacking goodness of this yummy snack. Chaat itself is a category of tangy Indian snack, and Papdi Chaat is one of the most popular snacks in this category. Chaat is a word in Hindi (India’s national language) meaning “to lick” or “to taste”, and honestly no other word than this literal verb could do better justice to this super-popular favorite snack of one-seventh of humanity (us Indians). Sold across all of India, every Indian family has their favorite Chaat street vendor – as a kid, I would get so excited every time my parents would begin contemplating a Chaat outing. Crunchy, tangy, zesty, hot, spicy, sweet – it is amazing that a bite of Chaat can pack so many flavors. Take a bite, and see if you can stop before you finish every last speck of morsel from your plate - no one I know has ever managed to! ;)
PAPDI CHAAT RECIPE / PAPRI CHAAT RECIPE
2 medium-size Potatoes; boiled, peeled and diced
1 medium-size Cucumber; peeled and finely chopped
1 medium-size Onion; finely chopped
2-3 Green Chillies (such as Serrano), optional; de-stemmed & finely chopped
1 1/2 cups plain Yogurt; whisked till smooth and chilled
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Sugar
1/2 cup Green Chutney
1/2 cup Sweet Tamarind chutney
1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp Black salt
1/2 tsp Chaat masala
1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder
3 tbsp chopped fresh Cilantro leaves
1/4 cup Gram Flour Vermicelli (Sev)
How to make Papadi Chaat
- First set up all ingredients - Papdis, toppings and chutneys, all within easy reach.
- Add salt(as per taste) and sugar to chilled yogurt. Mix well. Keep aside.
- Arrange 6 papdis on each of the 4 serving plates. Place some potatoes, onions and cucumbers on each papdi.
- Drizzle a little Green Chutney & Sweet Tamarind chutney with a spoon over the toppings.
- Sprinkle some black salt, cumin powder, chaat masala, red chilli powder & green chillies as per your taste.
- Top it all up with yogurt. Again drizzle some more of the Green Chutney and Sweet Tamarind Chutney.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. Sprinkle Sev all over the papdis. Serve immediately.
- Serve Papdi Chaat as soon as it is ready else the Papdis will get soggy.
- Packets of Papdis & Sev are readily available in Indian grocery stores.