Hara Bhara Kabab is a tasty, vegetarian variant of the meaty Kabab. "Hara Bhara" is an Indian term that means "full of greens" - and this vegetarian Kabab contains a lot of spinach, green peas, mint and cilantro. These fresh greens combined with exotic spices create an amazingly irresistible dish that is delicious, aromatic and healthy in equal measure. For all its goodness and great taste, Hara Bhara Kabab is surprisingly quick and easy to prepare.
HARA BHARA KABAB RECIPE
3 medium-size Potatoes; boiled, peeled & grated
1/2 cup Green peas (fresh or frozen); shelled & boiled till soft
3-4 Green chillies or to taste; destemmed
1 inch Ginger; peeled
1/2 cup fresh Cilantro (Coriander) leaves
1/2 cup fresh Mint Leaves
1 1/2 tsp Chaat Masala (available in Indian Grocery Stores)
1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Cornflour/corn starch
Oil for deep-frying
How to make Hara Bhara Kabab
- Blanch spinach leaves in 3 cups of boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain, refresh in cold water. Thoroughly squeeze out excess water from spinach leaves.
- Grate coriander leaves, mint leaves, ginger, spinach, green peas & green chillies in a food processor.
- In a bowl, mix the potatoes & grated mixture. Add chaat masala, cumin powder & salt to taste.
- Add cornflour & mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 16 equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball and then press it between your palms to give it a flat patty/tikki shape.
- Heat oil in a wok/deep pan. Deep-fry the patties 4-5 at a time in hot oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with Tamarind Chutney.
To keep it healthy, you may also shallow-fry the Hara Bhara Kabab on a griddle or a tawa.