Bengali Aloo Dum / Aloor Dum Recipe
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
How to make Aloo Dum
- Heat mustard oil in a non-stick pan to a smoking point. Switch off the heat, cool the oil & heat again on medium heat.
- Add potatoes & saute till slightly golden in color. Drain & remove them. Keep aside.
- In the same oil, add cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds change color, add ginger, asafoetida, green cardamoms, cinnamon, dry red chillies, bay leaves & cloves. Sauté for a minute.
- Add cayenne pepper, cumin powder, turmeric powder, salt, sugar, green chillies & 2 tbsps of water. Sauté for a minute.
- Add tomato puree & and saute till the puree is thick.
- Add potatoes. Mix well such that the potatoes are evenly coated with the tomato-spice mixture. Lower the heat. Cover & cook till the potatoes are done & the gravy has dried up & coated the potatoes.
- Add garam masala powder. Saute uncovered for a minute.
- Bengali Aloo Dum is now ready. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Serve hot with luchi, roti, paratha or puri.
All spices are available in Indian Grocery stores.