Vegetable Stir-Fry needs no introduction - a popular Chinese dish that has a global appeal, it is a sizzling motley of stir-fried veggies in a spicy, pungent sauce that is sure to take your taste buds out for a heady spin. The wide variety of veggies add to the nutritional benefits of the dish, and practically any combination of veggies tastes great which makes it a really flexible recipe. Vegetable Stir-fry goes well with rice or noodles, and the stir-fried veggies taste best when they are tender but still a little crunchy. So the next time you have a craving for some Chinese food, head to your kitchen instead of your favorite Chinese restaurant for a stir-fried treat :)
Spicy Vegetable Stir-Fry recipe
1/2 cup cubed Yellow Bell Pepper; deseeded & cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup cubed Onion; cut into 1-inch cubes
1 cup Broccoli florets
2 stalks of Spring Onion
1/4 cup thinly sliced (diagonally) carrots; peeled
1 1/2 tsp minced Garlic; peeled
1 tsp minced Ginger; peeled
1-2 Thai Chillies or to taste; destemmed & finely chopped
1 1/2 cup Water
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
2 tsp Chinese Red Chili Paste (Sambal Oelek) or to taste
1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
How to make Vegetable Stir-fry
- Boil water in a deep pan on medium heat. Add carrots & cook for a minute. Add brocolli & cook for further 2 minutes. Reserve 3/4 cup water, drain the rest. Refresh the vegetables in cold water. Keep aside.
- Thinly slice white part of spring onions. Diagonally chop the greens in 2 inch pieces for garnishing. Keep aside.
- Have all the other vegetables chopped & ready to cook.
- Combine corn flour/corn starch, soy sauce in the reserved water. Mix well till smooth. Add chilli paste, vinegar & mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok(kadai) on medium-high heat. Swirl the oil around the wok to coat it.
- Add minced garlic & ginger & cook for 15 seconds.
- Add the onion, spring onion whites and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the carrot & stir-fry for another minute.
- Add bell pepper & stir-fry for 2 minutes or till cooked but crisp.
- Add thai chilli & broccoli. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until broccoli is bright green.
- Add reserved sauce, salt & cook, stirring until it thickens. Adjust the seasoning as per your taste.
- Garnish with spring onion greens. Serve immediately with noodles or rice.