Zucchini fritters are scrumptious, delectable, mouth-watering delights with a crispy exterior and warm, succulent tenderness on the inside. It is amazing how a mild veggie like Zucchini can transform into a zesty snack that even kids love to devour en masse. In addition to their delicious taste, these fritters are on the healthier side as these are not deep-fried & Zucchini is low in cholestrol and a good source of protein, vitamin A, dietary fibers & minerals. Also, my recipe is a healthier, guilt-free version as it does not contain eggs or cheese. I love to nibble on these fritters when there is chill in the air, as they have a delicious way of spreading warmth inside one's system. Serve them with sour cream or with Cilantro-Mint Chutney, and enjoy the pleasure of watching them disappear from the plate in the blink of an eye :)
Makes : 8 Pcs
3 medium-size Zucchini; ends trimmed
1-2 Garlic cloves; peeled & minced
3 Green Onions; minced
2 Green chillies or to taste; destemmed & finely chopped
½ cup All-purpose Flour (Maida)
2 tbsp Corn Starch/Corn Flour
2 tbsp chopped fresh Cilantro (Corainder) leaves, or Parsley leaves
1 tsp freshly grated Lemon zest
Salt to taste
1/8 tsp Black Pepper Powder
2-3 tbsp Olive Oil
Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make Zucchini Fritters
- Grate the zucchini on the large holes of a box grater, or in a food processor using the shredding blade.
- In a large bowl, toss zucchini with 1 tsp salt and set aside for 10 minutes. Then, squeeze all of the excess liquid out of the zucchini with your hands.
- Return the dried zucchini to the bowl. Mix green onions, garlic, green chillies, cilantro, lemon zest, salt (taste the zucchini before adding) & black pepper. Sprinkle the corn starch & all-purpose flour over the mixture & mix until uniformly incorporated.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet/Tava over medium heat.
- Drop 2 tbsp of the zucchini mixture onto the skillet. Do not overcrowd the skillet, cook in batches. Lightly press the batter with the back of your spatula. Cook fritters until the edges underneath turn golden brown, takes about 2-3 minutes. Flip the fritters & fry until its golden-brown underneath as well.
- Drain on absorbent paper. Repeat process with remaining batter, adding more oil to skillet/tava if necessary.
- Serve with lemon wedges & Cilantro-Mint Chutney.