PUNJABI BHINDI MASALA RECIPE (SPICY OKRA)
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder or to taste; optional
2 tbsp Coriander powder
1 tbsp Roasted Cumin Powder
1 tsp Dry Mango powder (Amchur)
1/8 tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Oil
1 medium-size Onion; sliced thickly
2-3 green chillies; cut length-wise
Oil for frying
How to make Bhindi Masala
- Clean, wash and wipe the Okra dry. Chop off the crown(tip) of the Okra, also chop off half a centimeter from the base of the Okra. Cut the Okra vertically in half, or cut it in four vertical pieces if the Okra is too thick. Alternatively, you can cut it into 1/2 inch discs or 1/2 inch diagonal pieces.
- Heat the oil in a wok on high heat and deep-fry the Okra in it for 2-3 minutes. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a separate wok on medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add sliced onions. Saute till they are translucent.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, dry mango powder, turmeric powder, salt and green chillies. Saute for a minute.
- Add the fried Okra. Mix well. Saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Adjust salt to your taste. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Serve hot with roti or paratha.
- Wipe the Okra really well, wet Okra makes the dish sticky and slimy.
- Slightly deep frying the Okra removes its sliminess completely. If you prefer your okra crispy then fry it a little longer till it is crisp to your liking.