BREAD PAKODA RECIPE
1 cup Gram flour or Chickpea flour (Besan)
1 tbsp Rice flour or corn starch
Salt to taste
2-3 Serrano Green chillies or to taste; de-stemmed & finely chopped
A pinch of Asafoetida (Heeng); available in Indian Grocery Stores
1/2 tsp Carom seeds (Ajwain); ; available in Indian Grocery Stores
1/4 cup fresh Cilantro leaves; finely chopped
Oil for frying
1/4 tsp Chaat masala or to taste; available in Indian Grocery Stores
How to make Bread Pakoda
- Cut the bread slices diagonally to make 4 triangles.
- In a bowl, combine the gram flour & rice flour(or cornstarch). Add little water at a time to make a smooth batter with medium consistency (neither too thick nor too loose). Ensure there are no lumps in the batter.Add salt, asafoetida, carom seeds, cilantro, green chillies to the batter. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Frying pan should have at least 1 and a 1/2 inches of oil.
- To check if the oil is ready for frying, put one drop of batter in the oil. The batter should rise to the top. If it sinks, then the oil needs to heat further.
- Once the oil is hot, dip the bread slices in the batter one at a time. Ensure the batter coats the entire surface of the slice. Now, gently drop them in the oil one by one. Turn them occasionally. Fry till both sides are golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Sprinkle chaat masala on the Bread Pakoras. Serve hot with Green chutney or tomato ketchup.