Palak Paneer is a mouth-watering and aromatic dish with cubes of cottage cheese floating lazily in a thick and creamy spinach curry. It is a hugely popular North Indian dish and a household favorite as well as a star entree in all Indian restaurants. It is hard to escape the tantalizing aroma of Palak Panner whilst in its vicinity. The heavenly aroma coupled with the rich flavors and the healthy goodness of proteins, iron, calcium make this dish absolutely irresistible and a favorite of connoisseurs of Indian cuisine. Palak Paneer is typically served with hot steamed rice, or with traditional Indian breads such as rotis and naan.
The traditional Palak Paneer recipe uses heavy cream making it unappealing for the health-conscious. However, I am going to share my mom's secret recipe that replaces heavy cream with milk, making it more healthy yet retaining the same delicious flavors and creamy texture. Palak Paneer is so quick & easy-to-make that it you will wonder why you had not tried this earlier. Serve this dish on your dinner table, and watch your family members put Popeye to shame as they bolt down the spinach :)
PALAK PANEER RECIPE
200 g Cottage cheese (Paneer)
1 tbsp Oil
1 medium sized Onion; finely chopped
5 cloves Garlic; peeled & minced
2 Serrano Green chillies or to taste; destemmed & finely chopped
1/2 tsp Black salt
1 tsp Cumin seeds
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tbsp Dried fenugreek leaves (Kasoori methi); lightly roasted in a pan & ground to a fine powder
1/4 cup Milk
1/4 cup Water
1/2 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
How to make Palak Paneer
- Remove the stems and wash spinach thoroughly in running water.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add about 1/4 tsp of salt. Add spinach & cook for 4 minutes.
- Drain all the water through colander. Refresh in chilled water. Grind spinach into a fine paste.
- Dice cottage cheese into one inch cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin seeds begin to change color, add garlic & saute for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and sauté till they are translucent.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, black salt & green chillies. Mix well.
- Add the spinach puree, dried fenugreek leaves, water & milk. Mix well & cook on low heat till the gravy thickens. Adjust the seasoning as per your taste.
- Add cottage cheese, lemon juice & mix gently.
- Palak Paneer is now ready. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Serve hot with rice, Naan or roti.