Punjabi Sukhi dal (Dry tangy spicy lentil) is another popular dish of North India which is not only delicious and easy to make, but also full of nutritional benefits. The primary ingredient in this recipe is Dhuli Urad dal (Split skinned black lentil), also known as white lentil. White lentil, like other lentils and pulses, is a good source of proteins and dietary fibers. It is low in fat and rich in B-complex vitamins, calcium and potassium. Punjabi Sukhi Dal dal is best served with Indian flat-breads like roti or paratha.
PUNJABI SUKHI DAL RECIPE
Serves : 2
2/3 cup split skinned Black Lentil (Dhuli urad dal)
2 medium-sized Tomatoes; chopped
1 medium-sized Onion; chopped
2 Green chillies or to taste; de-stemmed & chopped
1 inch Ginger julienne
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 and a half tbsp of Oil
A pinch of Asafoetida (Heeng)
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder or to taste
1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
2 tbsp Fresh cilantro leaves; chopped
2 tsp Lemon juice
How to make Punjabi Sukhi Dal
- Wash & rinse the lentil till the rinsing water runs clear.
- Soak the lentil in 2 cups of water for 3-4 hours. After 3-4 hours, drain the water of the lentil.
- Heat 3 and a 1/2 cups of water in a deep pan and bring to a boil.
- Add soaked lentil and let it cook on low heat till it gets just done, soft but not overcooked - ensure that the grains remain separate. Once it is cooked, strain the lentil and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Stir.
- When the cumin seeds begin to change colour, add chopped onion and sauté till translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sauté till the tomatoes soften.
- Add salt, red chilli powder & turmeric powder. Mix.
- Add the boiled lentil and garam masala powder to this mixture.
- Adjust salt to your taste. Mix very gently.
- Cook till all moisture evaporates. Stir gently & occasionally so that the grains don’t break and stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add lemon juice. Mix.
- Punjabi Sukhi Dal is now ready. Transfer to a bowl. Garnish with cilantro leaves, green chillies and ginger julienne.
- Serve hot with paratha or roti.
Lentils sometimes contain tiny stones as impurities, so make sure to pick those out before washing the lentils.