PUNJABI SUKHI DAL RECIPE
Serves : 2
2 medium-sized Tomatoes; chopped
1 medium-sized Onion; chopped
2 Green chillies or to taste; de-stemmed & chopped
1 inch Ginger julienne
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 and a half tbsp of Oil
A pinch of Asafoetida (Heeng)
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder or to taste
1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
2 tbsp Fresh cilantro leaves; chopped
2 tsp Lemon juice
How to make Punjabi Sukhi Dal
- Wash & rinse the lentil till the rinsing water runs clear. Soak the lentil in 2 cups of water for 3-4 hours. Drain the water.
- Boil 3 and a 1/2 cups of water in a deep pan.
- Add soaked lentil and let it cook on low heat till it gets just done, soft but not overcooked - ensure that the grains remain separate. Strain & set it aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Saute cumin seeds and asafoetida. When the cumin seeds begin to change colour, add chopped onion & sauté till translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sauté till the tomatoes soften.
- Add salt, red chilli powder & turmeric powder. Mix.
- Add the boiled lentil and garam masala powder to this mixture. Adjust salt to your taste. Mix very gently.
- Cook till all moisture evaporates. Stir gently & occasionally so that the grains don’t break and stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add lemon juice. Mix.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with cilantro leaves, green chillies and ginger julienne.
- Serve hot with paratha or roti.
Lentils sometimes contain tiny stones as impurities, so make sure to pick those out before washing the lentils.