Missi Roti (Spicy Mixed Flour Flat Bread) is a traditional Punjabi variant of the universal North Indian Roti (Indian flat bread), Missi Roti differs in that it contains chickpea/gram flour (Besan) in addition to the wheat flour. The chickpea flour makes the roti much more wholesome - so it is quite filling. Also, the addition of chopped onions and other spices makes it a dish unto itself, that can be consumed with a side of pickles and/or yogurt. In contrast, the wheat flour roti (Indian Flat Bread) is always consumed as an accompaniment. Besides this, it goes well with any Indian veggie preparation as well. The chickpea and wheat flour provide ample health benefits - lots of fibers, proteins and minerals, and are also low in cholesterol.
Missi Roti is so quick & easy-to-make that you will be surprised. So what are you waiting for, it's about time that you surprised others too with this delicious bread :)
MISSI ROTI RECIPE
SERVINGS : 9 PIECES
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour; required for rolling & dusting
1 cup Gram Flour/Chickpea flour (besan); sifted to remove lumps
Salt to taste
3/4 cup finely chopped Onion
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Cilantro (Coriander) leaves
3-4 Green Chillies or to taste; destemmed & finely chopped
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper ( Red chilli powder) or to taste
1 tsp Oil
Water for kneading
Melted Clarified butter (Ghee) or Butter as required
How to make Missi Roti
- In a large bowl, add wheat flour, gram flour, salt, cayenne pepper, green chillies, onion and cilantro leaves. Mix well.
- Add sufficient water gradually as needed to make a smooth dough. Add oil and knead again so that the oil gets mixed well into the entire dough.
- Once kneaded, cover the dough with a cloth and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Once rested, knead the dough again. Divide the dough into 9 equal portions and shape into balls.
- Place a griddle (Tawa) on medium heat. Let it heat for two minutes.
- In the meantime, take a dough ball. Flatten it slightly. Dip the flattened ball in the flour kept aside for dusting.
- Roll the ball into a 6-inch circle using the rolling pin. If the rolling dough starts sticking to the pin or work surface, dust both sides of the dough with flour.
- Place the rolled dough on the hot griddle and cook for a minute. Flip it. Let the bottom portion cook for a minute and turn it. Cook till both sides of the rolled dough are golden brown with a few dark brown spots. Remove it from the griddle.
- Spread a thin layer of clarified butter/butter on top of the Missi Roti.
- Prepare the remaining Missi Rotis in a similar way.
- Serve hot with fresh yogurt or pickle of your choice.