Paneer Bhurji is stir-fried crumbled Paneer (cottage cheese) with chopped onions, tomatoes and bell pepper in a light selection of Indian spices. It is a delightfully flavorful dish with a quick and hassle-free preparation. Paneer Bhurji's great taste combined with its nutritional benefits makes it a very popular dish in Indian homes. In fact, the preparation of Paneer Bhurji is so simple and quick that it is one of my favorite dishes to rustle up when I am feeling a bit lazy or running short of time. The nutritional value of Paneer Bhurji comes from the high protein content in Paneer. Add to this the versatility of the dish - have it with Roti or Chapati at lunch or dinner time, or stuff Paneer Bhurji into an Egg Roll, Kathi roll or puff pastry and it becomes a delectable snack. It even tastes great as a toasted sandwich filling at breakfast. Any way you look at it, Paneer Bhurji packs all the qualities that makes it a great dish loaded with flavor and healthy goodness hidden in its simple unassuming looks.
PANEER BHURJI RECIPE
SERVES : 3-4
1 cup chopped Onion
1 cup chopped Tomatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum)
1 tbsp minced Ginger; peeled
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (Red Chilli Powder) or to taste
Salt to taste
1/8 tsp Turmeric powder
2-3 Green Chillies (Serrano) or to taste; destemmed & finely chopped
2 tsp fresh Lemon juice
1 tbsp Oil
1/2 inch Ginger; peeled & sliced into thin strips
How to make Paneer Bhurji
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Add asafoetida & stir.
- Add chopped onions and saute till they are translucent.
- Add ginger. Saute for 15-20 seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Saute till they are soft but not mushy.
- Add chopped bell pepper. Saute till they are cooked but slightly crunchy.
- Add turmeric powder, cayenne pepper, green chillies. Mix well. Saute for a minute.
- Lower the heat. Add crumbled cottage cheese, salt and lemon juice. Mix well and saute for a minute.
- Adjust salt to your taste.
- Switch off the heat. Your Paneer Bhurji is now ready.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves & sliced ginger.
- Serve hot with roti, naan or parantha.