Mumbai Tawa Pulao is great for preparing at home. A quick, easy-to-prepare and filling 1-pot dish that can be rustled up on-the-spot for guests that drop in unannounced, or for those times when you don't want to spend much time in the kitchen, or even to turn leftover rice into a tasty dish. And oh so kid-friendly - kids love the ketchup, and it is a great excuse to get veggies into their system.
I must confess - I stumbled onto the Mumbai Tawa Pulao recipe through trial and error and by simply following my taste buds. As a kid, I would add ketchup to enhance the taste of the Tomato Pulao that my mom would lovingly serve - I even got my younger sister hooked to it. The habit followed me into my adult years - and when a friend suggested I add some Pav Bhaji Masala to my ketchup-pulao preparation, the astronomical improvement in taste made me think that I had invented a new great recipe... till I found millions in Mumbai were consuming it by the truckloads every day. Accident, coincidence, or cosmic connection - either way, the outcome is a one-way ticket to tasty-land :)
Bombay Tawa Pulao Recipe / Tomato Pulao Recipe
Serves : 3-4
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tbsp minced fresh Ginger
1/2 tbsp fresh Garlic paste
1 cup cubed Red Onion; layers separated
1 cup cubed Tomatoes
3/4 cup cubed Bell Pepper (of your choice)
1/4 cup Green Peas (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup cubed Cottage Cheese (Paneer), optional; available in Indian Grocery Stores
1-2 Serrano Green Chillies or to taste; destemmed & finely chopped
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh Cilantro (Coriander) leaves
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder or to taste; optional
1 tbsp Pav Bhaji Masala; available in Indian Grocery Stores
Salt to taste
1/3 cup Tomato Ketchup
1 tbsp Oil
1/2 cup water
How to make Tawa Pulao
- Microwave the peas till soft. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds begin to change color, add garlic paste & ginger. Sauté for 15 seconds.
- Add cubed onions and sauté till the onions are translucent.
- Add cubed tomatoes. Sauté till the tomatoes are soft but not mushy.
- Add cubed bell pepper. Sauté till the bell pepper is cooked but crunchy.
- Add tomato ketchup, pav bhaji masala, red chilli powder, green chillies & turmeric powder. Mix well. Sauté for a minute.
- Add cottage cheese, salt & water. Mix gently
- Add cooked rice and mix gently. Add chopped cilantro leaves & green peas. Mix well. Let the rice get heated through.
- Your Tomato Pulao is now ready.
- Serve hot with Cucumber Raita.