STRAWBERRY RICE PUDDING (PHIRNI) RECIPE
4 tbsp Rice
1 qt (946 ml) Whole Milk
6 tbsp White granulated Sugar, or to taste
1 tsp Rose Extract
8-10 Pistachio slivers; optional
How to make Strawberry Phirni
- Wash the rice thoroughly till the water runs clear. Soak the rice in 1 cup of water for half an hour. Strain the rice and grind it to a coarse paste along with 2 tbsp of milk.
- Chop half of the strawberries. Keep aside.
- Grind the remaining strawberries to a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Boil milk in a deep heavy-bottomed pan. Add ground rice to the boiling milk and mix well.
- Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer, stirring at intervals (& scrap the sides of the pan as well) until the milk thickens to a creamy consistency.
- Add sugar & rose extract and stir till sugar dissolves. Adjust sugar to your taste.
- Remove from heat. Allow it to cool to room temperature. Add chopped strawberries & puree. Refrigerate.
- Serve strawberry phirni chilled and garnish with pistachios and sliced strawberries.
Do not reheat after adding strawberries as the milk may curdle.