MOLTEN CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKE RECIPE
Serves : 4
1 stick (4 oz) unsalted Butter
2 tbsp All purpose Flour (Maida)
6 ounces Bitter-sweet Baking Chocolate (see tip #2)
2 Egg yolks
1/3 cup Sugar
1 tsp Pure Vanilla extract
A pinch of Salt
2 tbsp powdered Sugar / Confectioners sugar for dusting
How to make Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously butter & lightly flour four 5.5-ounce ramekins or custard cups.
- Place butter & baking chocolate into a large microwave-safe bowl & microwave for 1 minute. Stir until butter and chocolate are smooth.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract and salt until thick, pale & fluffy.
- With a wire whisk gently fold the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture, just until incorporated. Sift the flour into the chocolate mixture then stir until just combined. Do not over-mix or the batter will deflate.
- Spoon the batter equally into the prepared ramekins & place them on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F for 11-12 minutes or until the sides are set but center is still soft (not jiggly)
- Let the cakes cool for 2 minutes, then place an inverted plate on top of each ramekin. Carefully turn it over & unmold the cakes gently onto the serving plates. Sprinkle the top of each cake with confectioners sugar. Serve immediately along with a dollop of vanilla ice cream / whipped cream & berries.
- You can prepare the chocolate mixture a couple of hours in advance of serving. Place the prepared mixture into ramekins, cover ramekins with plastic wrap, and refrigerate. Bake just before serving - the refrigerated batter may take an extra minute or two to bake.
- If you do not like the taste of Bitter-sweet Chocolate, you may substitute it with Semi-sweet Chocolate.