VEGETABLE BIRYANI RECIPE
Serves : 2
For the Rice:
½ tbsp fresh Ginger Paste
½ tbsp fresh Garlic Paste
How to make Vegetable Biryani
- Rinse the rice till the water runs clear. Soak the rice in 2 cups of water for at least 30 minutes. Drain.
- Boil 4 cups of water in a large saucepan. Add rice and all the remaining ingredients mentioned in the "For the Rice" section. Cook the rice till its ¾th done. Each grain of the cooked rice should be separate. Drain the rice in colander & cool. Keep aside.
Frying the onions:
Heat enough oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Fry the sliced onions until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper. Keep aside.
Preparing the vegetables:
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick saucepan on medium heat. Add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, green cardamoms & bay leaf. Saute for 10 seconds.
- Add ginger & garlic paste.Saute for 15-20 seconds.
- Add all the vegetables (except the tomatoes) & salt. Mix. Cover & cook for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, cayenne pepper, green chilli paste, lemon juice & tomatoes. Mix well. Lower the heat.
- Add yogurt, cilantro & mint leaves. Reserve 1/4 of the fried onions for garnishing, & crush the remaining fried onions with your hand & sprinkle over the yogurt mixture. Mix.
- Add the cooked rice on top of this mixture/masala, DON'T MIX IT as yet. Sprinkle saffron-flavored milk on the rice. Again, don't mix! Cover the pan tightly with a lid. Remove from heat. Keep aside.
- Heat a griddle/tava on medium heat. Once heated, place the rice-vegetable mixture saucepan on top of the griddle/tava and let it sit for 30 minutes on very low heat. This is done to avoid the bottom contents from getting burnt.
- Turn off the heat & let the biryani sit for 10 minutes, covered. Mix the rice gently with the vegetables.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves & fried onions. Serve hot with pickle or Cucumber-Mint Raita.
- Saffron adds color to the Biryani, and may be substitued with yellow color.
- You may remove the whole spices (Cinnamon, green cardamoms, black cardamom, bay leaf, cloves) from the Biryani before serving.
- If the lid is not too tight, cover the mouth of the pot with a clean, thick, damp cloth. Then put the lid tightly on it.
- If you wish to give the dish a more royal look (good for parties), add 10-12 pieces of Cashew nuts and/or 1 tsp of Raisins by shallow-frying the cashews & raisins till golden-brown and sprinkling them on the prepared dish as garnishing. I generally avoid adding these due to their high calorie count.