BEANS PORIYAL RECIPE (STIR-FRIED GREEN BEANS WITH COCONUT)
1 medium-size onion; finely chopped
2 Green chillies or to taste; finely chopped
1/4 cup freshly grated Coconut
1 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp skinned Split black gram (dhuli urad dal)
1/8 tsp Turmeric powder
1 Whole dry red chilli; broken
8-10 Curry leaves
Salt to taste
A pinch of Asafoetida; available in Indian Grocery stores
How to make Beans Poriyal
- Wash, trim the ends and chop the beans to 1/2 inch pieces. Boil in a pan or microwave the chopped beans for 6 minutes, or till the beans are tender. Strain the cooked beans.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds crackle, add cumin seeds, red chilli, black gram and asafoetida. Sauté till the gram turns light brown while stirring constantly.
- Add curry leaves & green chillies. Sauté for half a minute.
- Add chopped onions & saute till they are translucent.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, french beans. Mix & sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning as per you taste. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Serve hot as a side dish.