1/2 cup Peas (fresh or frozen)
1 cup finely chopped Onion
1 cup finely chopped Tomatoes
2-3 Serrano Green chillies; destemmed & chopped
1 tsp fresh Ginger paste
1 tsp fresh Garlic paste
1 1/2 tbsps Oil
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida; available in Indian Grocery Stores
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper (Red chilli powder) or to taste
1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder; available in Indian Grocery Stores
3 tsp Coriander powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Dried Fenugreek leaves; lightly dry-roasted & powdered
2 tbsps fresh Cilantro leaves; chopped
How to make Gobi Matar
- Microwave cauliflower with enough water & 1/2 tsp of salt for 4 minutes or till it is 70% cooked. Drain the water & keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Add cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds begin to change color, add asafoetida, garlic & ginger paste. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onions. Sauté till the onions turn light brown in color.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté till the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, cayenne pepper, salt & garam masala powder. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower & green peas. Mix well to evenly coat the cauliflower with the spice mixture in the pan.
- Sauté till the cauliflower is tender but not mushy or falling apart. Keep stirring very gently every 1-2 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to your taste.
- Add green chillies, dried fenugreek leaves. Mix well & sauté for a minute.
- Transfer it into a bowl. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve hot with roti or paratha.
- Microwaving cauliflower not only reduces the cooking time but also helps the florets retain their shape.