1 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour (Maida)
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar, or to taste (see Tip # 3)
3/4 tsp Vanilla Essence
1/8 tsp Lemon extract
2 tsp Dutch-Process Cocoa Powder
110 g Unsalted Butter; softened
1/8 tsp Salt
Water for brushing
How to make Checkerboard Cookies
- In a large bowl, sieve flour, sugar & salt together. Add butter & knead lightly to form a smooth dough (see Tip # 2).
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. In one part, add vanilla essence & lemon extract & knead till the essence/extract is fully incorporated. In the other part, sprinkle cocoa powder over the dough & knead till the dough is evenly colored.
- Split each part of the dough again into two to get 2 equal cocoa parts and 2 vanilla parts.
- Roll each part into a cylindrical shape. With your fingers, form each part into a rectangular shape (8" long x 1 1/2" thickness).
- Cover work surface with plastic wrap & place a vanilla roll on it. Place a cocoa roll next to the vanilla roll. Brush a little water on the adjoining sides of the vanilla & cocoa roll. Now join them gently. Brush a little water on the top of these rolls, and place the second set of rolls such that the cocoa roll is on top of the vanilla roll & vice versa. Make sure to brush a little water on the adjoining sides of the second set of rolls too. Press all the rolls lightly together so that the entire dough is joined.
- Wrap the assembled log in plastic. Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. With a sharp knife cut the refrigerated dough into 1/4" thick slices. Place slices about 1" apart on baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies start to brown around the edges.
- Remove baking sheet from oven & let cookies cool for 3 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.
- Baked cookies can be stored in an airtight container up to one week.
- If the dough is too crumbly add a little milk as required to form a smooth dough.
- These cookies are not very sweet. If you prefer more sweetness, add more sugar as per your taste.