The top of the Puri is cracked open, then stuffed with spicy mashed potatoes, chopped onions, Sweet Tamarind Chutney, or any combination thereof. It is then filled to the brim with Pani, and eaten in one bite. It has to be prepared and eaten at the same time, since Pani makes the Puri soggy in a matter of seconds.
Now that you know the perfect way to eat it, below is the perfect way to prepare it :)
PANI PURI RECIPE / GOLGAPPA PANI RECIPE
For The Pani:
1 cup fresh Mint leaves; washed thoroughly
5 cups Water
1 tsp Black salt
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Roasted Cumin powder
1/4 tsp Ginger powder
1/4 cup seedless Wet Tamarind
3-4 Green Chillies or to taste; destemmed
For the Puri stuffing:
Spicy potato stuffing:
1 tsp Chaat masala; available in Indian Grocery Stores
1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (Red Chilli powder) or to taste
1-2 finely chopped Serrano Green chillies or to taste; destemmed
1 tbsp fresh finely chopped Cilantro (Coriander) leaves
1/2 cup Sweet Tamarind Chutney
How to make Pani Puri / Golgappa pani
For the Pani:
- Soak the Tamarind in 1/2 cup of warm water for 15-20 min. Mash the soaked tamarind with fingers and separate the pulp from the fibers and seeds. Strain out all the pulp through a sieve.
- Combine the tamarind pulp with the remaining ingredients (except the salt & black salt) in a blender. Grind to a fine paste using little water.
- Transfer the paste into a large bowl and add the remaining water & black salt. Mix well.
- Adjust seasoning as per your taste. Mix well. Chill in the refrigerator till use.
For the Potato stuffing:
Add all the potato stuffing ingredients to the mashed potatoes. Mix well.
Assembling Pani Puri:
- Take a puri in your palm and lightly press the top to make a small hole in the center of the puri.
- Stuff the puri with a tsp of spiced mashed potato stuffing, 1/2 tsp of chopped onions, 1 tsp of Sweet Tamarind Chutney, and finally fill the puri to the brim with the chilled cilantro-mint pani.
- Stuff the whole puri into your mouth immediately. Then savor the explosion of flavors :)
- Pani Puri has to be prepared and eaten at the same time, since Pani makes the Puri soggy in a matter of seconds.